Screening for FASD is the first step in understanding the effects of prenatal alcohol exposure.
During an FASD evaluation, there are four areas that will be assessed:
Brain Development and Functioning
Exposure to alcohol in utero
Diagnostic terms under the FASD umbrella may include:
Alcohol Related Neurodevelopmental Disorder
Neurobehavioral Disorder Associated with Prenatal Alcohol Exposure (ND-PAE)
The Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) recommends that a person with prenatal alcohol exposure be assessed by an interdisciplinary team of professionals.
The evaluation may include:
- Evaluation of the medical history, including prenatal, birth and early childhood history
- General physical examination
- Evaluation of growth patterns throughout life
- Measurement of facial features
- Psychoeducational evaluation determine learning strengths and weaknesses
- Occupational therapy evaluation to determine motor functions and sensory processing abilities
- Speech and language evaluation to determine expressive and receptive communication abilities
DIAGNOSTIC CENTERS Specializing in Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders in North Carolina
Mission Hospital’s Fullerton Genetics - Asheville, NC
Fullerton Genetics offers diagnostic appointments for Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders. The team consists of a genetic counselor and medical geneticist.
A referral from the patient’s primary care provider is required for an appointment with the FASD Clinic.
Atrium Health-Levine Children’s Hospital Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders Clinic Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics Clinic - Charlotte, NC
The following evaluations are required prior to the patient’s initial visit.
• Neuropsychological/psychological evaluations
(with educational achievement testing if patient is a school-aged child)
• Speech-language evaluation
• Occupational therapy evaluation
A referral from the patient’s primary care provider is required for an appointment.
MD, FAAP Academic Division Chief, Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics Division | Atrium Health Levine Children;’s FASD clinic of the Carolinas
2608 E. 7th Street
Charlotte, NC 28204
Fax – (704) 403-2699